Since 1982, Potomac Photonics has been setting the standard for Laser Micromachining Services.
Laser Micromachining Services:
Potomac Photonics offers a broad range of cost-effective and highly repeatable laser micromachining capabilities that are available for applications ranging from prototyping through production manufacturing. With a variety of laser sources from deep UV excimer to Nd:YAG lasers, we can micromachine most materials (eg. polymers, metals, ceramic, glass). Our Engineers will choose the most appropriate laser system to micromachine your parts, based on feature sizes, tolerances, volume, and material.
Visit our Gallery to see examples of:
- Laser micromachining of polymers
- Laser micromachining of glass
- Laser micromachining of ceramics
- Laser micromachining of metals
- Laser micromachining of silicon wafers
- Laser micromachining of diamonds
- Laser micromachining (laser marking)
We are continually developing new laser micromachining capabilities and have been recognized by many of our customers for developing processes to manufacture their parts where others have fallen short. Our laser micromachining systems are equipped with some of the most cutting edge optics configurations, motion systems and parts handling fixtures in the world. We take pride in pushing the limits of laser micromachining technology from a process, quality and cost perspective.
For more information about Micromachining please see:
- Laser Micromachining Polymers
- Laser Micromachining Metals
- Laser Micromachining – Marking Services
- Laser Micromachining Welding
- Laser Micromachining Cost
- Laser Micromachining Overview
- Laser Micromachining Applications
- Laser Micromachining: QR Code Laser Marking
- Laser Micromachining: Microhole Drilling
Laser Micromachining Polymers:
- Type of polymer being micromachined and its absorption spectrum are critical in determining the optimal laser source to use.
- Typically, matching the low transmission point of a given material to the corresponding laser wavelength yields the most favorable results.
- UV Lasers produce “cooler” excitation in polymers which results in an extremely clean cut quality with a minimal Heat Affected Zone (HAZ)
- Key considerations when choosing the appropriate laser source include, desired cut quality, feature size and throughput.
- There is a wide spectrum of process parameters that can be optimized in order to meet quality and cost targets. For example, shorter laser pulses can improve cut quality and reduce the Heat Affected Zone.
- The smallest feature size achievable with a UV laser source is about 1 micron.
- Potomac stocks many types of polymers in Dupont Kapton (polyimide), Mylar (PET), PEEK, Polycarbonate and others,
- Potomac has almost every laser wavelength in-house, including UV and IR systems at 193nm, 248nm and 355nm, 532nm, 1070nm and 10600nm.
Laser Micromachining Metals:
Laser Micromachining of Stainless Steel, Copper, Nitinol, Tantalum, Gold, Aluminum and other metal materials.
- Type of metal being micromachined, reflectivity of material, and feature size desired are the most critical factors in determining optimal laser source to use.
- The laser beam is absorbed into the surface of the material, and the energy of the laser is converted to heat which vaporizes or melts the metal material.
A gas or fluid assist is often utilized to improve the cut quality, expel molten metal, and minimize the Heat Affect Zone (HAZ).
- IR lasers are typically the first choice to laser micromachine metals from a quality and cost perspective.
- When features less than 10 microns are required, the UV laser may be a good alternative to the IR, assuming the metal thickness is less than 0.003″
- Intricate and complex features can be cut on both flat and tubular metal substrates utilizing high precision multi-axis motion systems.
- Potomac has experience laser micromachining almost every type of metal material including stainless steel, aluminum, copper, titanium, gold, silver and others.
Laser Micromachining of Thin Metal Foils:
We have the capability to machine thin metal foils with precision features and alignment typically within 24-48 hours of receiving an order. Parts as large as 16″ x 16″ can be fabricated with extremely clean edges and tight tolerances. Almost any material including stainless steel and aluminum can be processed.
Precision Features in Glass:
Glass can be a difficult material to process. We use a broad range of technologies to machine precision features in glass including, lasers. Holes as small as 1 micron can be achieved in various types of glass substrates. In addition we can machine channels and grooves with little or no cracking, chip out or recast.
Our laser micromachining systems are driven by CAD to FAB technology and do not require costly masks or tooling options. All that is needed to get started is a drawing to get started.
Applications include fabricating, apertures, calibration plates, gears, optical slits, hole drilling, diaphragms, optical masks, sputtering masks, screens, microfludic parts, probe cards, medical device and much more.
In addition to Laser Micromachining, Potomac has MicroCNC and 3D Printing capabilities.
Laser micromachining can be a very cost-effective way to manufacture custom parts in both prototype and production volumes. Call us today to discuss your next project. Lead times can be as fast as 24 hours in some cases. We provide services worldwide, including Europe, Asia and South America.
Laser Micromachining Brass
Laser Micromachining Ceramic
Laser Micromachining Copper
Laser Micromachining Glass
Laser Micromachining HDPE
Laser Micromachining Kapton
Laser Micromachining LDPE
Laser Micromachining Metal
Laser Micromachining Nitinol
Laser Micromachining PCB
Laser Micromachining PEEK
Laser Micromachining PET
Laser Micromachining Polycarbonate
Laser Micromachining Polyimide
Laser Micromachining Polymers
Laser Micromachining Polystyrene
Laser Micromachining Silicone
Laser Micromachining Silicon Wafers
Laser Micromachining Stainless Steel
Laser Micromachining Tantalum
Laser Micromachining Titanium
Laser Micromachining Services
UV Laser Micromachining
Green Laser Micromachining
IR Laser Micromachining
Laser Micromachining Cirlex
Laser Micromachining ITO
Laser Micromachining Rubber
Fiber Laser Micromachining
Laser Micromachining Acrylic
Laser Micromachining Services